7-Zip is the best archiving tool that ever existed for the Windows platform. And if you are to compare this software to other archiving tools, professionals would say that 7Zip software is way better in terms of quality of output. Did you know that the native .7z file extension of 7Zip is 17% better than the traditional .zip extension? That alone says something good about this tool. More often than not, 7-Zip for PC works totally fine both in 32 and 64 bit Windows 10.
Microsoft Windows has performed major overhaul to Windows 10 UI or User Interface. However, a lot of programs work in the new environment but fail to receive any updates. It can be integrated with Windows File Explorer as well for the archive compression and extraction like 7z, Tar, RAR, Zip, ISO, BZIP, GZIP, and many more compressed file formats.
Compared to other Archive compression tools like WinRar and WinZip, 7Zip can have so many other features even though it sometimes gets an error that says 7zip cannot open file as archive.
Download 7-Zip for Windows PC [10, 8, 7]
|Requirement||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10|
|Download||.exe||32-bit x86||7-Zip for 32-bit Windows|
|Download||.exe||64-bit x64||7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64 (Intel 64 or AMD64)|
|Download||.7z||x86 / x64||7-Zip Extra: standalone console version, 7z DLL, Plugin for Far Manager|
|Download||.7z||Any||7-Zip Source code|
|Download||.7z||Any / x86 / x64||LZMA SDK: (C, C++, C#, Java)|
|Download||.msi||32-bit x86||(alternative MSI installer) 7-Zip for 32-bit Windows|
|Download||.msi||64-bit x64||(alternative MSI installer) 7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64 (Intel 64 or AMD64)|
How To Install 7-zip on Windows PC?
7Zip is easy to install since this software has native support for the Windows operating system. All you have to do is to download, click, and install the software and you should be good to go. If you are not familiar with Windows installation works.
Here’s a short tutorial for you.
- The first thing you need to do is get the 7Zip file installer for your Windows version. You should know whether your Windows is running on a 32bit or 64bit version.
- To check which Windows is currently installed on your system, go to the Windows Search service and type in “System Information.” Once you see it, click on it to launch the System Information window.
- Find the “System Type” and it should state there your Windows architecture.
- Now click to download 7Zip page and find your corresponding Windows system type. Click on which your system type belongs (32-bit or 64-bit).
- The file is really small at around 1.5MB so the download should just take a couple of seconds.
- Now click on the 7Zip installer and follow the on-screen prompts. This will be quick.
- Once the installation finishes, that’s it. You can now open compressed files and make compressions on any of your files at will. It’s easy, right?
32-Bit or 64-Bit, Install without Hassle
7Zip is capable of handling file formats like ISO, NTFS, DMG, and RAR among others. The 7Zip website is providing every interested user a download link for those computers running on 32-bit as well as 64-bit Windows versions.
There are three ways of using the program from its GUI or Graphical User Interface, which is the most popular method. It also has shell integration or a command-line interface. The default .7z file format is offering the most effective and lowest compression ratio.
This is through the integration of LZMA as well as LZMA2. It is the exact same reason why this program is free and the most popular for professionals as well.
The Good, the Best and the Better Guide
Although 7Zip download is free, some may think that it will work poorly or 7Zip may not be safe. As a matter of fact, 7Zip is more than a free tool that can deliver the highest compression among others. There is more than what meets the eye. On that note, let me show you a few of the awesome features that 7Z has to offer.
- Uses LZMA/LZMA2 compression format to deliver the highest compression ratio
- Supports 7z, TAR, ZIP, GZIP and BZIP2 for packing and unpacking
- Only unpack Z, RPM, RAR, CAB, ARJ, CHM, DMG, DEB, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, MBR, MSI, NSIS, WIM, VHD, LZMA, NTFS, SquashFS and CramFS
- Supports password protect on files and documents.
- Command-line and file manager version
- Available plug-in for FAR Manager
- Supports 79 languages
- Windows Shell integration
What to Expect From Installing?
7Zip also comes with a file manager together with some standard archiver tools. The file manager has a toolbar with options to like Extract, Create, Test archive for error detection, Copy, move and delete files, Open file properties menu exclusive to 7Zip only.
What you can get from it by default?
The file manager shows hidden files as it doesn’t follow Windows Explorer’s protocols. As you see from the tab, it shows the file’s Name, Size, Modification Time, Original and Compressed Sizes, Attributes as well as Comments.
*Note: All comments for the file directory are stored in a .txt file on the same directory referred to as description. This file, however, can be edited offline. When you go up a directory on the root, all internal or removable drives will appear. As you go up another section, it will list 4 options, including “Computer”, “Documents”, “Network” and “.:”