Types of Shortcut Virus on Windows Computer or Pen Drive
There are two types of Shortcut virus. Out of these, the most common one is Flash drive shortcut virus and the other File and folder shortcut virus.
Flash Drive Shortcut Virus
This basically is a Trojan virus. It combines all of the files in your portable device and keep them in a hidden folder. Then it makes a total new shortcut file, named as Flash Disk Shortcut.exe. You can not view other files, unless you click this file. Once you click this file, virus initiates the installation of malicious softwares which are capable of spying your computing routine and send your data on their own servers. It is highly alarming, as your credit card information may get passed on to hackers.
File and folder Shortcut Virus
This is a combination of both Trojan and warm. It can copy your files and hide the orginal files and replace them with shortcut with .exe or .vbs extension. Rest of the mechanism is identical to previous type. You have no other option except clicking the shortcut, and once you click it, the virus activates and start destroying your device.
Methods to Remove Shortcut Virus from SD Card / Pendrive / Hard disk
Shortcut Virus Remover CMD
Shortcut virus remover can also work via cmd. Yes command prompt can be effectively used to remove the virus and recover the files. You do not have to download any shortcut virus remover tool.
- Open the Command Prompt on Windows Computer.
- Go to Start > Run > Type ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
- Then, enter the name of the drive which you wanted to remove the virus for example “f:’ or “h:” and press Enter.
- Now, type this command and hit Enter.
“attrib f:*.* /d /s -h -r -s” or attrib -h -r -s / s / d f:\*.*
(We have assumed that f is the Drive Label for Pen Drive)
How to Remove Shortcut Virus Permanently from Windows PC & Recover Hidden Files?
- Open the Windows Task manager on your pc. For this, you just have to press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and go to process tab.
- Search for the process exe or any other such processes and right-click then End task.
- Press Windows key+R and type ‘Regedit‘ and press Enter to open the Registry editor.
- Then navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
- Now search for the registry key named “odwcamszas.exe” and than right-click on it to select it. In case you can not find the exact same key but search for some other junk values which do nothing.
- Now you can reboot PC and the changes will be saved.
If you do not want to follow all the steps and you want some easy and automatic mechanism to clean the virus, you should give a try to Shortcut Virus Remover Batch file. It is click and run file. You must have administrator level access on your computer to execute .bat file. It will perform all the manual commands automatically, without any hassle to write each command on command prompt, manually.
Tips to Avoid Shortcut Virus on Windows Computer or Laptop
- Never run flash drive from Autorun or My computer.
- Open your pendrive by right-clicking on it and explore the option. May be you can type the address of the flash drive in the address bar.
- Always leep your Anti-virus up-to-date. Make sure to install USB Anti Virus Software on your windows computer that will help to prevent shortcut virus and auto delete autorun.inf file from pen drive or usb drive.
- Never surf any harmful websites.